Mural by Jackie Reeves and Mary-Ann Agresti
Photo Gallery - click to enlarge
Hyannis Normal School Summer School Beach
(a “normal school” was the name for a teacher training school back then)
Sears Dry Goods Store sold bathing suits, rugs, dresses and fabric.
Also “Dove Celebrated Underwear”!
We welcome submissions of historic photos to be added to this site.
Please email them to webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org
Larger size images preferred but all are welcome.
The Hyannis Historical Society thanks the Hyannis Public Library for dedicating space in the Ora B. Hinckley building for the Society's new workspace. Items of interest are being cataloged in what was the library's reading room before construction of the Eagleston building in the 1930s. Today, the Hinckley building also hosts Ora's Parlor, the library's bookstore.
The Octagon House of Hyannis
The "Octagon House" on South Street in Hyannis has a matching "Octagon Carriage House". Built of concrete in 1855 by Sea Captain Rodney Baxter, it was designed by Orson S. Fowler, who wrote a book in 1848 advocating for 8-sided houses, The Octagon House, A Home for All.(Order on Amazon). Fowler as a book seller and publisher was crucial in the original publication of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.
The property is currently owned by the family of renowned pianist Dr. Susan Godoy, Baxter’s great granddaughter, who resided there until her death in 2020. Baxter was a deepwater and coasting captain who sailed throughout the world and was known for making fast passages. He sailed the schooner “American Belle” to Ireland in 22 days, to deliver corn and flour during the Great Famine in 1847.
Model of the ship "Hoogly" made by the ship’s carpenter for the Captain, William Penn Lewis of Hyannis and given by him to the son of Mr. Daniel B. Hallett and, in turn, presented by Mr. Daniel B. Hallett to the Hyannis Public Library in 1925.
The Lustron Corp of Columbus, Ohio built 2498 prefabricated homes between 1949 and 1951. This home stands at 370 Ocean Street in Hyannis, built of steel covered in enamel on a concrete slab. The homes took 2 weeks to complete and required little maintenance, priced at $9,500 - $11,000. The company served a critical need for housing after WWII, but could not compete with the price of traditional homes being built at that time.